The primary role of most heads of accounts department in most small and medium size companies is to maintain a set of accounts/books to fulfil financial reporting requirement and in ensuring financial transactions are recorded, updated and maintained to facilitate the smooth running of a company’s operation. However, more is expected of the departmental head as the company starts to grow or as complexity increased in business. They are required not only in the operational level of the company but also to play a key role at the strategic level participating and advising on important decision-making process.
Given the wider role expected of the Accounts (now Finance) head, he must be equipped with the knowledge and skills in many more areas of finance such as financial analysis and interpretation; cash flow and working capital management, credit control; costing and planning, business valuation and capital budgeting (project appraisal).
This 2-day program will equip the participant with the understanding and skills to analyze and interpret financial statements, understand cost, concepts and costing; and learn and use capital budgeting techniques; learn about key aspects of credit control, working capital and cash flow management including preparation of cash budget; and methodologies applicable to each areas of finance to assist and aid financial decision process in the course of their duties.
• Identify the structure and function of financial statements.
• Differentiate between cash flow, profit and net worth.
• Use financial and non-financial data in a Company’s Management Discussion & Analysis Report to evaluate its performance and position.
• Use financial ratios to assess a company’s liquidity, profitability, management efficiency, financial structure and cash flow.
• Understand PE Ratio and its application to business valuation
• Know the key working capital elements, processes and various concepts
• Learn to prepare the cash budget and other budgets to manage the cash flow of the company.
• Understand cost concepts and behaviors; and impacts on costing and pricing.
• Know the difference between absorption and marginal costing.
• Use Cost Volume Profit model and Break-even analysis for decision making
• Understand the impact of activities on costs and use Activities Based Costing to evaluate product, department or branch performance.
• Learn and use capital budgeting techniques and methodologies to evaluate projects on their feasibility.
• Communicate effectively with finance and accounting personnel.
(C) TARGETED GROUP
• Head of Accounts including Accounts Managers and Executives
• Accountants and Finance Manager
• Finance Heads and Directors
• Anyone who heads the Finance function in a company
(D) DATE & VENUE
Date: 25 - 26 January 2021 (Mon - Tue)
Time: 9am - 5pm
Mode: Online / Webinar
[ CPD 16 Hours | HRDF Claimable ]
- Special Offer (before 18 Jan 2021) - RM790
- Normal Fee - RM840
(F) COURSE CONTENTS
AN OVERVIEW OF FINANCE
• Objectives of Finance
• Financial Decisions
• Organization of the Finance Function
FINANCIAL REPORTING AND FINANCIAL STATEMENTS
• Structure and Contents of financial statements
o Income Statement – the 4 profit lines / impact of non-core revenue
o Balance Sheet – classification of assets and liabilities
o Cash Flow Statement – generation & usage of cash flow
o Notes to the Financial Statements – window into details
• Evaluating financial performance
o Value creation and Profitability
o Quality of Earnings
o Environment, product life cycle and corporate strategies
• Evaluating Financial Position & Cash Flow
o Working capital & it’s quality
o Liquidity and Solvency
o Usage of resources and its efficiency
o Cash flow generation and adequacy
• Determining Business Valuation
o Value Creation & PE Ratio
o Earnings and Dividend Yield
o Asset Valuation and NTA
o Capitalization of Earnings and PE Multiples
Case Study - Analyzing and interpreting financial ratios using Annual Reports of 2 selected PLCs.
CASH FLOW AND WORKING CAPITAL MANAGEMENT
• Funding Gap and Business activity cycle
• Optimizing the Process – Strategies and Practices
o Inventory Management
o Accounts Receivable
o Accounts Payables
• Credit Control and Managing Trade Debts
o Credit screening and collections
o Determining credit exposure
• Cash Flow Management
o Customer management strategy
o Cash Management Culture
o Preparation of master cash budget
o Solvency / Sustainability Statements under Companies Act 2018
COSTING FOR MANAGEMENT DECISION MAKING
• Cost Concepts and Cost Behavior
• Cost Allocation, Apportionment and Absorption
• Elements of Cost, Profit and their Behavior
• Cost-Volume-Profit Relationship
• Break Even Point Calculation
• Activities, Costs and Activity Based Costing (ABC)
CAPITAL BUDGETING AND PROJECT EVALUATION
• Capital Expenditure and Capital budgeting
o Defining Capital Budgeting
o Capital budgeting techniques
• Time Value of Money and NPV
o Time and Value of Money
o Interest and WACC
• Cash Flow Projection and Valuation
o Discounted Cash Flow (DCF)
o Project and IRR
(G) SPEAKER PROFILE
Chartered Accountant, Consultant, HRDF Certified Trainer
CA (M) CA (ANZ) B COM
Winson is a Chartered Accountant by profession and has over 30 years of experience having served in various roles as practicing accountant, company secretary, financial controller and management consultant.
He presently consults and advises companies to better manage their businesses through an integrated process covering strategic planning; tactical design, planning (financial and otherwise) and implementation; and monitoring, review and analysis. A key focus of his consultancy is to help clients to better manage and utilize their cash resources and to restore a financially sickened company to good health.
Besides consulting, Mr. Han is also actively involved in conducting public and in-house seminars targeting the non-financial audience in financial management and analysis, financial planning & budgeting, cost management, SST/GST and credit and cash flow management. He is a PSMB (HRDF) certified trainer and holds a degree in commerce from New Zealand and is a member of the newly merged institute known as “Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand” and Malaysian Institute of Accountants.
(H) REGISTRATION & ENQUIRY
- General (03 - 5888 7357)
- Teo (011 - 3178 9203)
- Logesh (012 - 503 0346)
- Siti (012 - 383 8603)
- Han (019 - 323 0507)