Consolidated financial statements (group accounts) are the main domain of corporate reporting and their preparation and presentation is a key task of corporate accountants and accounting personnel. This task requires some good grasps of the underlying financial reporting principles and demands for competent technical skills. Furthermore, the underlying consolidation principles are prescribed in the Malaysian Financial Reporting Standards (MFRS). Corporate accountants and accounting personnel will need to keep abreast of any recent and proposed developments in the relevant MFRS, especially revised MFRS relevant to the preparation and presentation of consolidated financial statements issued by the Malaysian Accounting Standards Board (MASB) for implementation with effect from 1 January 2013. This programme is designed to provide a comprehensive coverage of the knowledge and skills in the preparation and presentation of consolidated financial statements. It begins with basic topics and build on to the more advanced topics in consolidated financial statements. Hence, it serves well for beginners as well as provides updates for those who deal with preparation and presentation of consolidated financial statements.
 COURSE OBJECTIVES
• Prepare and present consolidated financial statements for reporting entities
• Evaluate MFRSs relevant to group accounting
• Diagnose technical and advanced topics in consolidation of financial statements
• Keep abreast of updates in MFRSs relevant to group accounting
• Review and reflect your job in the preparation and presentation of consolidated financial statements
 WHO SHOULD ATTEND
• Accounts / Finance Executives or Clerks /Administration Executives or Clerks
• Those who wish to obtain a good understanding on preparation of financial statements
Presented via interactive lecture, practical hands-on activities, group and individual presentations.
 METHOD OF ASSESSMENT
Assessment will be provided at the end of the course and submit online for review. Upon successfully passing the assessment, IAAP Certificate will be awarded.
 DATE, TIME & FEE
Date: 27-28 August 2020 (Thu - Fri)
Time: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Venue: Pullman Hotel, Bangsar
Early Bird (before 3 Aug 2020) - RM 990
Special Offer (17 Aug 2020) - RM 1090
Normal Fee - RM 1190
>> Fee includes Course Notes, Lunch, Refreshments/ Tea Breaks, Certificate of Completion & 6% Government Service Tax
(i) 15% overriding discount for SST2u Learner Card members
 COURSE OUTLINE
Introduction to Business Combinations and Consolidated
• Investments and involvements in other entities:
- Control alone, joint control and significant influence
• Financial reporting framework for the preparation of consolidated financial statements:
- Malaysian Financial Reporting Standards (MFRS)
• Group accounting:
- MFRS 3 and the package of 5: MFRS 10, 11, 12, 127 and 128 (Revised)
• Presentation of financial statements:
- MFRS 101, 107, 121 and MFRS 9
• Preparation of Consolidated and Separate Financial Statements
• Accounting for business combinations, fair value adjustments, non-controlling interest and purchase goodwill
• Basic principles in consolidation
• Intercompany transactions and balances
• Accounting for business associate and joint arrangements
• Preparation of consolidated statement of financial position
• Preparation of consolidated statement of profit or loss and other comprehensive income
• Preparation of consolidated statement of cash flows
• Separate financial statements
Advanced Topics in Consolidation:
• Consolidation for complex groups:
- Direct, indirect and effective interests in subsidiaries
• Business combinations achieved in stages
- Fair valuation of previously held interests, non-control interest and purchase goodwill
• Disposals of interests in other entities
- Full and partial disposals, with loss of control; Gain or loss of disposals
• Reporting of remaining interests after disposal
• Disposals without loss of control: transactions between the equity holders
• Translation and Consolidation of Foreign Investees
• Translation to presentation currency in accordance with MFRS 121 Effects from changes in foreign exchange rates
• Consolidation of foreign operations and other entities Disclosures
• MFRS 12 Disclosure of interests in other entities
• Subsidiaries, associates, joint arrangements and unconsolidated structured entities
 SPEAKER PROFILE
C.A. (M), FCCA, FFA
Tharmaseelan C.A (M), F.C.C.A, MIAE has vast experience in the field of Accounting, Taxation, Internal Control Systems and Finance for almost 15 year in an international accounting firm and local consultancy firms.
His career spanned across wide working experience and exposure in Accounting, Taxation, implementing Internal Control Systems and Finance in consultancy firms, a leading hotel in Langkawi and in a leading hotel training college. He has also developed Business, Accountancy and IT Programs with various colleges, and these programs are validated by foreign universities and professional Bodies.
He was attached to a medium size audit firm as a Senior Audit Assistant before he moved over to an established international tax company where he held the position as a Tax Senior. He then joined an established professional firm as the Tax Manager where he oversaw the computation, submission and resolving tax issues for clients.
His tenure with an established Consultancy as a Senior Consultant gave him the opportunity to designed internal control systems & implemented it. He also advised his clients on compliance with accounting standards and tax regulations. His last position prior to going into practise was as the Associate Director of The Business School where he was responsible for restructuring the Busines School and identifying suitable courses and obtaining accreditation from various bodies and universities.
He is currently in practice offering his expertise and knowledge to corporate and professional clients, locally and worldwide. His specializations are in designing and setting up of Accounting, Taxation, Finance, Internal Control and Operational Systems as well as in performing Operational Audits. His well-esteemed clients include those in the hospitality, education, manufacturing and service-based industries.
He has trained personnel from numerous private sector companies and the public sector, including MK Land Berhad, KULIM HI TECH Berhad, including, Majlis Bandaraya Shah Alam, Permodalan Nasional Berhad, Institut Jantung Negara, Tradewind Hotel Group, Bintulu Development Authority, Ritz Carlton Hotel, Putrajaya, IOI Resort, Majlis Perbadanan Sibu, Lembaga Urusan Tabung Haji, Tenaga Cable Industries, Yeo Hiap Seng, Kobe Precision, Eon Finance, International Islamic University, Petroliam Nasional Bhd, Progressive Insurance Bhd, Subang Jaya Medical Centre, The MINT Hotel, KLIA Pan Pacific Hotel, Bank Rakyat, Toshiba Electronics, UDA Holdings Bhd, Komag USA, Bank Industri & Teknologi (M) Bhd, PPB Group and TH Plantations to name a few.
As a qualified Accountant, he is actively involved in conducting audit and financial courses. His experience brings him to faraway countries such as Vietnam, Brunei, Nepal, Uganda and Rwanda to train Accounting and Financial Professionals.
He is also a regular training facilitator for
1. Malaysian Institute of Accountants
2. Certified Public Accountants of Australia
3. Malaysian Institute of Management
 ENQUIRY & REGISTRATION
Teo (011 - 3178 9203)
Logesh (012 - 503 0346)
Siti (012 - 383 8603)
Han (019 - 323 0507)